Saturday, May 12, 2012

Reflections on the A-Z Blogging Challenge

It's been almost 2 weeks. And I'm writing this today only because it's the deadline for having the reflections posts done to go on the list. Because I haven't wanted to even look at my blog in the past two weeks. I haven't wanted to look at any blogs. The Challenge was hard for me. My health issues frequently prevent me from forming full sentences, and my life as a part-time single parent is a challenge all its own. Having to do a blog post a day during April was exhausting, mentally and physically. In the beginning, I thought I would do the challenge on both my blogs. A few days in I realized there was no way I could keep up both. This was my first big disappointment. A couple weeks in I realized I couldn't keep up with visiting 10 blogs a day and reading the blogs of the people I wanted to follow. Disappointment number two. The last week of April, I was so overwhelmed just answering the comments that people were leaving on my blog. I can't say that I ended on an up note.

But lest you think it was all tedious and torturous, I'll also say that I am glad I participated. It took a lot of discipline to post daily no matter what else was going on. And discipline gained through challenge is always worthy. I loved meeting all the new people that came to visit my blog, and whose blogs I visited. I met people that I would have probably never met otherwise. The blogosphere is a big place, and there are so many great blogs that I wouldn't have ever found except through this challenge. It was also a great experience doing this with my daughter, who at 12 years old disciplined herself to post daily, even with a full school schedule, critique group and other writing goals. We had a great time supporting and encouraging each other. And, of course, all that I learned about the wonders of this world as I researched for my posts has enriched my faith and my appreciation for the universe.

So, the big question: Will I participate again? .... well, I think this is a bit like the emotions of childbirth... ask me again once I've forgotten what it was like this time!  Seriously though, I think I will. But next time, I'll prepare a little more in advance, and I'll choose a topic that I don't have to research. April is a busy month for garden chores; perhaps I'll write about the April garden.

In another few weeks, I think I'll be ready to continue visiting blogs on the list, and catching up on all the ones I'm following. And I'm looking forward to reading a lot of the reflections posts. I'd like to thank all the people who read and commented on my posts throughout the month, and the hosts for making the challenge possible.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulation on finishing the challenge. During the challenge I didn't visit as many blogs as I would like to but, cross my heart, I'm visiting every single one with the reflection post! I am so glad my journey brought me here.

    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the challenge. It's always overwhelming the first time, but now that you know what to expect you'll be a pro by the next challenge:)

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making it through the Blogging from A to Z challenge with your sanity intact :) I'm slowly continuing to make my way through the list of participants (I figure I might visit them all by next year LoL) but lemme tell you, I feel your burn out pain.

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering how hard it was, I bet it feels that much more meaningful that you succeeded on this blog! Little by little we get there - as you can see I'm still trying to visit the reflection posts...

    I think a gardening blog for next year would be perfect. There's something about pairing the mental task of writing the posts with the physical tasks of working in the garden that really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping at some of the A to Z bloggers that I haven't visited for a while. Hope things have settled down a bit for you. Sometimes you have to pick which hops to join and let others go. It can become insane if you tackle too many. Congratulations for doing it. It was a real challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!