Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Update on the Robins

I did confirm that, sadly, one of the baby Robins did not survive. I'm assuming the mama pushed it out of the nest, because it's no longer there. I looked for it under the bush, but I'm sure my dog would have made a quick snack of it as soon as it hit the ground.

But, the remaining three are doing splendidly! They have a good mama who brings them food constantly. And during the last couple of days, which were cold and raining, one parent was gathering food while the other was sitting on the babies, wings spread out to keep the rain off of them.

Today it's sunny and warmer, and the babies are up and down, stretching their wings, and making more vigorous peeping noises. By my count, they are only a few days away from getting out of the nest. I guess flight training will be happening soon? I did read today that most Robins do not make it past their first year of life, which is very depressing.


Protecting them from the rain.
There's only three now.

I want to thank the few people who participated in the Quiz of Qs. Hopefully next time, more people will at least venture a guess! These three did make the attempt, and did very well. Now, go visit their blogs!
Kern @ The Odd Particle [Re]View
C.M. Brown
Sush @ First Do No Harm

12 comments:

  1. What fabulous pictures! The remaining babies sound like they are doing well. Maybe they will make it past the first year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so. I was just reading that they spend two more weeks on the ground learning to fly after they leave the nest. Which means I have to watch my dog carefully when he goes into the back yard.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know! We are in WV for a few days, and I think they'll probably be out of the nest by the time we get home.

      Delete
  3. Hi, baby birds bring out the "oh, how sweet" in us, don't they? Have you ever heard the song, "Poor Little Robin... walkin' walkin' walkin' to Missouri, he can't afford to fly, have a pity for poor little Robin... walkin' walkin' walkin' to Missouri, got a teardrop in his eye"? I think it came out in the '40s. Could have been about President Truman, I'm not sure.
    Nice to meetcha'. Ruby aka Grammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grammy! For some reason, those lyrics sound familiar. Thanks for stopping by and sharing them with us!

      Delete
  4. Hi, My curiosity got the better of me (quite often it does) and I looked up the song, "Poor Little Robin" and it was recorded in 1952 by Sammy Kaye and his orchestra and was thought to be about President Truman losing his bid for re-election in 1952. That's it. Ruby aka Grammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came back to tell me this! I love random trivia! Do you know why they equated Truman with a Robin?

      Delete
  5. awww i am sorry one of them didn't make it--i love robins and i have a daughter named robyn---i didn't realize they only lived a year--wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if they live past the first year, the life expectancy is 5-6 years. But only 25% make it past the first year.

      Delete
  6. That God cares both for the robins and us is so amazing. I hope the remaining birds continue to grow strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Even that one baby Robin didn't die without God's notice. The boundlessness of his love is beyond comprehension.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love your comments!