Friday, April 20, 2012

Robins

The American Robin is unassuming. It isn't brilliantly colored. It doesn't have a very sweet song. But a nest outside my bedroom window has given me a great opportunity to marvel at God's handiwork. I love birth and babies, even of animals!

The American Robin
Eggs

A couple days after hatching
About 5 days old

 
A week old - halfway there!



I think one of the babies died. In the day 5 picture, one looks underdeveloped - the head is smaller and more pink. I can only see three in the day 7 picture. Would the mama push the dead one out of the nest? These pictures were taken by reaching my camera into the bush. I wish I could get a closer look with my eyes!

6 comments:

  1. How amazing! I would love to experience this in person, but your pictures are absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the bush has to be removed in a few weeks, so the birds won't be able to use the nest for other eggs this year. I need to figure out what to plant in its place that will encourage nesting next year.

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful pictures. We have a lot of robins in our yard and I have seen robins' nests and the baby birds. I remember teaching a song to my Gr. 3 students many years ago, called Robin in the Rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a lot of rain here the past couple of days, and the mama bird has been sitting on the babies covering them with her wings to keep them warm and dry. It's so sweet.

      Delete
  3. The blue eggs are so pretty.
    #40 following
    Kate
    http://solidhappiness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by, and for the follow. I look forward to visiting your blog!

      Delete

I love your comments!