Monday, April 16, 2012

Night


Countless stars! (source)

Ok, I know this doesn't seem like anything special. Our side of the world turns away from the sun, so it gets dark. Woop-dee-doo. But think about this - night is the time we get a glimpse of the vastness and beauty of the universe. Planets, constellations, shooting stars, the brightness of the moon. It is all up there all the time, but during the day the moon is dull, and the stars are hidden. What a blessing that we have the night to appreciate the universe.


Shooting stars (source)
  






In certain parts of the world, people are blessed to be able to see the amazing Northern Lights. The phenomenon actually happens in the south too, although few people see it because of its location above the antarctic. Here's an explanation of what causes it, from Northern Lights Centre:

"The bright dancing lights of the aurora are actually collisions between electrically charged particles from the sun that enter the earth's atmosphere. The lights are seen above the magnetic poles of the northern and southern hemispheres. They are known as 'Aurora borealis' in the north and 'Aurora australis' in the south. Auroral displays appear in many colours although pale green and pink are the most common. Shades of red, yellow, green, blue, and violet have been reported. The lights appear in many forms from patches or scattered clouds of light to streamers, arcs, rippling curtains or shooting rays that light up the sky with an eerie glow."
See more Northern Lights pics from National Geographic
Source
Particles colliding can cause such incredible beauty? How cool is that? Without night, they wouldn't be visible.

When it's daytime, the amazing creation on earth sings the glory of God. And at night, we only have to look up to see the awesomeness of the Creator displayed in the seemingly endless universe. So don't take the night for granted!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I love shooting stars! When I was in high school, I went on a youth retreat to the country with my church. We saw more than a dozen shooting stars, literally. We didn't find out until we got home that there'd been a meteor shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds absolutely lovely! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love the night! I remember warm nights on beaches in Florida and my dad teaching us the constellations! Summer evenings with my grandmother showing off her night blooming cereus. Mid-night sailing...and midnight sales! Yes the night holds many delights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are some beautiful night-blooming plants!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post. Sometimes we are so busy and dont take any notice of night beauty. I loved looking at the stars in Mongolia where I grew up. In the countryside there were times only stars gave us the sense of direction at night. I pray to myself when I see the stars now remembering my baby angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the order in the universe very comforting. The fact that we can use the stars for direction... that's so amazing!

      Delete
  4. I love nighttime. I do my best work at night, and I like the feeling of solitude and serenity it brings. The night sky is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a night person too. I'd much rather stay up late than get up early!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. lovely

    do check out my a-z at GAC a-z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your blog! Coffee, gardens and God in combination - is there anything more wonderful! Love it and now following. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for the follow!

      Delete
  7. Great post. Learnt some things I never knew before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. This reminds me of the 1st chapter of the book of Romans. The heavens declare the glory of God. There is no excuse not to know Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jeremy! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. "When I consider the heavens, the moon and stars and works of Thy hands, what is man that Thou art mindful of him and the son of man that thou takest pleasure in him"
    What amazes me is that in spite of how breathtaking and mind boggling His creation is, nothing in creation compares and glorifies Him more than the relationship He has with me! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post! The night really is something wonderful to behold. Pollution has made it hard to see stars at night where I am nowadays, but whenever I do, I'm always reminded of how miraculous this world is for simply existing, and how small I really am in the grand scheme of things...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not a ton of pollution where I live, but there's still a huge difference when I get out into the country.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love your comments!