Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jellyfish

In my opinion, jellyfish are some of the most fascinating and beautiful creatures on the planet.

The Irukandiji is the smallest at just 1 inch in diameter. It's also one of the most venomous animals in the world. One sting from this tiny jelly causes excruciating pain, vomiting, sweating, rapid heart beat, and acute anxiety.

The largest jelly - known as the Lion's Mane jellyfish - grows an average 8 feet in diameter. The largest on record had tentacles 120 feet long! Its sting, however, will cause a human only minor irritation. There are a couple of Jellyfish that do not sting, including the strange Cannonball Jellyfish.

Here's an interesting fact - Most jellies do not have brains, but the Box jellyfish actually has four brains!

But what really draws me to them is that most are absolutely beautiful! 

See the 17 Most Beautiful Jellyfish Species on Earth


The Atolla jellyfish is on this list. And it's not only beautiful, it has a unique defense mechanism. When threatened it does an amazing thing. See this incredible video of the Atolla lighting up, presumably to attract larger predators to kill its attacker.


10 comments:

  1. I agree: they are beautiful--in a scary kind of way! I'm always amazed by God's creation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love watching jellyfish--but I wouldn't want to get too close to them in real life:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Just A-Zing around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor would I! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The first thing that comes to mind is Dory (who also didn't have a brain!) on Nemo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the one thing that I love seeing at aquariums. The jellyfish exhibit. They truly are so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Some of thos are pretty freaky looking. New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by, and for the follow.

      Delete
  6. i think they are so beautiful too--i took a picture once of one in a yellow bucket, so pretty---great pictures and blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew you liked jellyfish

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always thought that jellyfish were so fascinating. Beautiful and alien.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!