Monday, January 16, 2012

"Think About It" posts

I am an information junkie. I love to learn new things through reading and talking to other people, or listening to other people. When I approach a subject/new information I like to do research, think, read applicable scripture, think some more, pray, think more, seek council when necessary, and then form an opinion. Because of this process, my opinions are usually very passionate. That's not to say that I am opposed to hearing alternative ideas; I value them. God has used the contrary opinions of others to force me to reevaluate, and either to become more solidified in my view, or change it.

So let me go back to the part about passion. Because I am passionate, and because I express myself that way, I often offend people. A lot of the time that's not my fault - some people become defensive anytime someone else holds a strong view that doesn't align with theirs. But sometimes it is my fault, and that's something I'm trying to work on. So this post is a sort of disclaimer: I'm not judging you. I'm asking you to think about it. Examine the things that I'm saying with an open heart and spirit. Pray. Ask God to show you whether my words are applicable to you. And please feel free to make points of your own in the comments. God uses the members of his Body to teach and admonish one another.

If I do come across judgmental, a helpful comment would be, "When you said... it seemed judgmental." A non-helpful comment would be, "Who are you to judge what I do with my own family?" Ultimately, how you live your life is between you and the Lord. I love this thing my pastor says, "It's not my job to play Holy Spirit."  So, remember: I'm not trying to play Holy Spirit for you. And, I'm not judging you!

Proverbs 27:17: As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!